A Forum for Talking Animals

Friday, November 10, 2006

24 hours of fun!

I have a story for you all, but first--my apologies to all that read my blog. Although I have been on maternity leave for about two weeks I have still been slacking on my posting. On the plus side, you should all be getting a much overdue thank you note soon as I finally had time for those.

On to my story... Ryan and I went to our 34th week appointment in Davis a few days ago. Everything went fine, the girls (yes, both still girls) looked good and their heartrates were identical (136 BPM). Anyway, it seemed like a pretty standard appointment until the doctor hit me with this one on her way out the door.

Doctor: It looks like both babies are in a great position to be born naturally, you shouldn't have any trouble. [pause] I should warn you though that once the first baby comes out the other one [interrupted by Brittaney--I'm so rude]

B: May turn?

Doctor: Well, yes, that and also you sometimes have to restart labor to encourage them to make their way into position in the birth canal. You know, sometimes it can be up to 12 hours between twins. They could have different birthdays! [big smile and she exits]

EXCUSE ME! I did not sign up for two 12 hour labors! I mean, twins. Sure. Two babies coming out on the same day. I have come to terms with that one. Two babies needing to be fed. Check. Two babies needing to have their diapers changed. Ryan prepare yourself. I mean, I thought I had it all figured out and then she hits me with 12 hours in between Danny and Arnold! I'm sorry but that just is NOT happening.

To ease my fears of 12 hours in stirrups and a drafty hospital gown I decided to do a little research and figure out how common this really is. I was able to find a few resources, none of which mentioned this 12 hour nonsense, thank you very much. For instance, Robin Elise Weiss, a doula practicing since 1989, states that:

"The average time between the birth of the first and second baby is generally about 17 minutes."

I like Robin Elise Weiss.

I mean, I am even willing to take one for the team and be on the high end of the average. I'm up for a good nineteen minutes! However, I will not sit passively by for 12 hours. I mean, Dr. 2x4 (long story) reach in there and PULL HER OUT!

Arnold and I have been having some talks lately. I have informed her that a 12 hour layover in utero is not acceptable. I think she understands what is expected of her and I am fully confident that she will do her part to hold up her end of the bargain. Sure, some of you may think I'm being a little tough, she is only a fetus after all, but seriously, Arnold is going to have to learn at some point that when Mommy says, "time to go," she means, NOW.

2 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great , Brittaney. Teach Arnold now who is boss!!

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home